Welcome to the November 2013 Making Money Report, Money Saving Report, and Investing Report!
I feel like I’m moving in the right direction this month. Let’s get started!!
To view all previous reports and to find out why I publish these reports, click here
Actions Plans for November
Key: Complete/Some Progress/No Progress
- Read the book Rich Dad Poor Dad
- Complete, check out my book review here: Book Review – Rich Dad Poor Dad
- Fund Roth IRA accounts (total of $11,000)
- Got this done, now I just need to buy some investments!
- Start and finish first version of side hustle website FrugalCalc.com
- Complete and open for business! No one has purchased it yet, but I still have some marketing work to do here.
- Start and finish first version of side hustle website RichmondThriftSore.com
- Also complete! Need to train my mother-in-law on WordPress so that she can “fill out” the site with info.
- Continue doing my ebay thang – Goal of $50 again for this month
- I sold about $19 of stuff for myself (soccer cleats and mug).
- For that free Xbox 360 deal I spoke of last month, I sold about $128 worth of that stuff.
- I made this orange, since I didn’t see $50 from revenue of stuff that I sold.
- Post at least 4 additional monetized YouTube videos
This month was pretty good for goals! I slacked a little bit on listing personal stuff on Ebay, but this was mainly because I had a ton of Xbox 360 stuff to sell for a friend. I also worked my butt off to finish FrugalCalc.com and RichmondThriftStore.com . I’m pretty pleased with how those two sites came out!
Money Making (Income)
Salaries + Bonuses (after taxes) — $9,303.83
Website Income — $18.63
- Google AdSense Ads — $15.87
- YouTube Ads — $2.76
- Amazon —- $0
Yard Sale Items resold on Ebay — $18.88
TOTAL MONTHLY INCOME = $ 9,383.58
Money Saving (Expenses)
Routine Expenses — $4,641.77
Special Expenses — $149.99
Other Expenses — $215.66
- Groceries were higher this month by ~$340 , but I think this is mostly due to having company and Christmas presents (many of ours come from Costco or Wal-mart – too hard to determine breakdown).
- All other routine expenses in line with last month 🙂
Special expenses for the month:
- Doctor Bills (I got sick and son had normal checkup) – $70
- Son’s Birthday presents – $30
- Present for Co-worker – $50
- Other Christmas Presents – $216
Here’s a graph of total expenses and savings for the month of May 2013 – November 2013. As you can see, we’ve making great progress!
Overall expenses were up a bit, but I think this is just because we had company for Thanksgiving and we bought some Christmas presents. For the month of November, we hit a savings rate of 57%. That’s great progress!!!!
My wife and I talked more about the possibility of relocating once I finish my MBA in May 2014. We came to the understanding that if we do relocate, we’ll look for a house ~$100,000 less than our current one. This will help us to save even more on our routine expenses and get to financial independence even quicker 🙂
For the coming months, I’ll continue to shift my focus to making money since we feel like our savings rate has hit a short term plateau.
TOTAL MONTHLY EXPENSES = $ 5,007.45 ( $556 more than last month)
For this month, I decided to further improve my asset allocation by getting some exposure to developed markets (outside the US). My target allocation for international developed markets is 15%. I still haven’t gotten the chance to write an intro investing article around asset allocation yet, but I plan to get it worked up soon 🙂
I bought: 99 shares of VEA @ 40.10 (with $5 commission) — $ 3,974.90 (I didn’t transfer quite enough to get that last share to make it a round lot – bummer 🙁 )
- This is the Vanguard FTSE Developed Market ETF
- It pays a
quarterly dividend that works out to be ~3.0% APR.
- The dividends are 100% qualified – this means that the dividend is taxed at the lower 15% capital gains rate and is great to hold outside of a tax advantaged investment account.
TOTAL MONTHLY INVESTING = $ 3,974.90
Actions Plans for December
- Read the book The 4-Hour Workweek
- Select and purchase investments for both of our Roth IRA accounts
- Setup Google AdWords account for FrugalCalc.com and run $100 business trial
- Get 4 posts on RichmondThriftSore.com about products offered for sale to help out mother-in-law
- Ebay profit of $50 again for this month (hoping to offload many Pokemon cards and other junk around the house)
- Post at least 5 additional monetized YouTube videos
- Save $350+ on kids daycare by pulling them out during the holidays while we’re on vacation 🙂
Other Points of Interest
- Here is a list of the posts I created for the month of November. I’m happy I got this many with MBA classes kicking into full gear 🙂
- I joined the Yakazie Challenge – I’m really happy to make the commitment and hope to help out other fellow bloggers over the next six months!
- MoneyAhoy.com hit a new milestone just yesterday with more than 200 daily visitors (207 unique to be exact) to the site! Awesome!!!! I’m super excited that traffic continues to increase 🙂
Check back next month to see how well we did with our action plans! What are your money saving, money making, and investing plans for this month?