Check out my June 2015 Money Report! We have been working on improving our personal finances through MoneyAhoy for more than two years now – let’s see if our money saving, money making, and investing is paying off!
To view any previous monthly money reports, check these monthly money reports.
Actions Plans for June 2015
Let’s start with a review of my goals for the month of June to see how well I did hitting them:
Key: Complete/Some Progress/No Progress
- Continue investing ~$25,000 per month until cash from home sale is fully invested.
- COMPLETE – This is now fully complete. We have invested all of our old home’s equity into stocks.
- Write 8 posts for MoneyAhoy.
- Some Progress – I only had 5 posts for June. With vacation and other stuff, I didn’t make the time to finish 8 posts.
- Finalize naming decision and register new money/health blog domain name.
- Some Progress – I am 90% on the naming front. Just need to let it stew for a little longer to make sure I am in love with it. I also decided to make the blog just concerned with health vs. health & money. More to come soon.
- Read the book: The New Meaning of Rich: Four Principles of Wealth That Will Change Your Life.
- COMPLETE – This was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed it and got a couple of new ways to think of life out of it 🙂 I would give it 9/10.
- Read the book: The Connection Algorithm: Take Risks, Defy the Status Quo, and Live Your Passions.
- COMPLETE – This book was OK, but not great. I would give it maybe 6/10…
I hit 3 out of 5 on my goals for the month. That’s so-so as far as I’m concerned.
I have a complete business plan, content plan, and concept for my new health blog. I just need to finalize the name. I have a couple names in consideration, but as I mentioned above, I want to stew on my favorite so far and ensure I am really in love with it.
Now, let’s look at some numbers on how we did financially for the month of June:
Notes on Making Money for June 2015
Our income was down a bit in June with vacation. That was a week of pay that my wife missed out on. Everything else income-wise was pretty normal for the month.
Dividend income is seeing a nice steady rise which if fun to watch 🙂 I plan to continue reinvesting all dividends for the foreseeable future. So the power of compounding interest is going to really help me out over the years.
Side-hustle income was nice for the month and broke $500! Let’s look at the side-hustle income highlights and dividend into for the month:
- Monthly Dividends – $261
- Setup an LLC Affiliate Links – $231
- Sponsored Posts – $125
- Youtube – $34
- Google Adsense – $27
- Ad in sidebar – $25
- Ebay sales – $22
- Stock Market Investing for Newbies book – $0
- TOTAL = $789
Total side income (dividends plus side-hustles) came in at almost $800 for the month! That’s enough to pay our mortgage and still have some cash leftover!!!
Notes on Money Saving for June 2015
This month our routine and non-routine expenses ticked up a bit. The biggest impact to routine expenses is that we have a several hundred ($645 to be exact) daycare charge now that the kids are out of school for the Summer. Other than that, our routine expenses are pretty much inline with our record-setting low of last month!
For non-routine expenses, we had a $620 charge come through for Disney World food while we were there for a week plus. That should hopefully wrap up our vacation expenses and we can move forward with higher savings rates for several more months 🙂
Overall we had a savings rate of 78% for the month! Very nice!
Notes on Investing for June 2015
For the month of June, I purchased 125 share of SPY for a little over $26,000. SPY is the S&P-500 ETF that pays a ~1.9% annual dividend.
Our cash is now at 5.3% of our total net worth with the rest of our funds invested one way or another in bonds, real estate, or stocks. That is a hen’s tooth away from our goal to have less than 5% cash, so we should be able to hit that next month!
If you are interested in stock market investing but don’t know where to get started, check out my excellent book: Stock Market Investing for Newbies. It will get you up to speed with stock market investing very quickly!
Actions Plans for July 2015
Here are my goals for the upcoming month of July:
- Write 8 posts for MoneyAhoy.
- Register new health blog domain and get the WordPress site setup.
- Create two new videos on money saving/making/investing for my MoneyAhoy YouTube channel
- Switch our cell phone plan from AT&T over to Cricket and save $48 a month
- Read the book: Learned Optimism by Martin E. P. Seligman
Other Points of Interest
I am 99% of the way finalized on the naming of my new WordPress blog. This blog will focus on all things health and body such as:
- dealing with and preventing injury
It’s going to be A LOT of extra work to start a new blog from scratch and get it to the point where MoneyAhoy is currently (over 200 posts!), but I am committed to making it happen! Also, my wife is going to give me a hand, so maybe we will get there twice as fast 🙂 !
If you missed any of the below posts for June 2015, be sure to check them out:
- Buying Sweaters in the Summer
- Smart Ways to Stay Cool and Save on Energy This Summer (Guest Post)
- My All-Time Best Ebay Flipping So Far – 4300% Profit
- May 2015 Money Report
- Stock Market Investing as Your Own Insider (Sponsored Post)
What are your money saving, money making, and investing plans for July?