You’ve made it to the final part of our series on how to start and setup an LLC!
If you missed Part-1 of the series, you can find it here: why an LLC is the best business to setup. If you would like to go back and review Part-2 of the series, you can find it here: how to start and setup an LLC.
This post will contain a checklist of items you should make sure you cover when starting and setting up your LLC. I’ve also included a downloadable checklist (in Word Document format) that you can download and print-off to help you get started quickly. This will help you ensure you hit all the major bases when setting up your LLC.
Read on to get started!
How to Start an Setup and LLC – Downloadable Checklist
- Download the New LLC Checklist here!!
- If you have not setup your LLC yet, then watch my video on how to start and setup and LLC and click the LegalZoom.com box below!
How to Start and Setup an LLC – Checklist
List top-3 names you plan to use here. Make sure a suitable website to go along with the name is available (check www.1and1.com for availability).
Select one of the following tax types. See the IRS website here for more info. You will only need to do something (fill out form 8832) if you elect to be taxed as a corporation, otherwise nothing is required.
- Part of your tax return
- Corporation (Form 8832 will be required, get it here)
Early Expenses Planning (First Year):
Use this section to help you plan on how much money you will need to fund your business with.
TOTAL = $
LLC Member Plans:
List out members, % ownership, and initial funding for each member here.
Other Potential Items to Address:
- Setup delivery box at UPS Store
- Obtain Employer Identification Number. Get it from the IRS website here.
- Obtain a state tax identification number. Use this Google search, then add your state name to the search to get the proper form.
- Obtain business license / register with County/City Commissioner of Revenue if applicable.
- Register fictitious name with County/City Circuit Court (if applicable)
- Register name and trademark if interested (http://www.uspto.gov/)
- Select bank and fund account
- Setup business checking account
- Setup business credit card
- Setup general ledger for accounting
- Setup Google AdWords account for business website (if marketing on-line)
- Register business website address, deploy website (consider BlueHost.com to host your website. They are awesome!)
- Create Facebook account for business
- Create Twitter account for business
- Setup paper filing system for taxes, expenses, disbursements, invoices, payments, corporate information, etc.
- Create business logo
- Print business cards
- Create simple two-page business plan (who, what, when, where, why, how)
If Non-Home Based:
- Negotiate lease agreement for office space
- Setup phone number
- Setup electricity
- Setup water
- Setup natural gas
- Setup credit card payments
- Setup internet access
How to Start and Setup an LLC – Checklist – Summary
In this series on how to start and setup an LLC, we’ve been through a lot. I’ve given you a lot of tools and knowledge that you can put to use to make more money. To summarize, we covered:
- What a Limited Liability Company (LLC) is
- Why it is important to have limited liability protection if you are running a business or collecting/receiving money
- Pros and cons of an LLC versus other types of business organizations
Part-3 (This Post)
- A word document checklist “New LLC Checklist”, which will help guide you through all the things you need to take care of to properly start and setup your LLC.
Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns in the comments section below. I hope you enjoyed this series on how to start and setup an LLC, and I hope you can put it to use to start making money for yourself today!!!