Welcome to the February 2014 Making Money Report, Money Saving Report, and Investing Report!
February 2014 came with its own set of successes and failures as you’ll see below 🙂 Overall it was a good month.
To view all previous reports and to find out why I publish these reports, click here
Actions Plans for February 2014
Key: Complete/Some Progress/No Progress
- Get halfway through the book: The Four Pillars of Investing
- I made it about 43% of the way through, so I didn’t quite hit my goal here. I had an unexpected book I had to read for class that took precedence.
- Sell at least
2010 things on Ebay ( revising this goal – 20 was too much without dumping stuff at too low of a price)
- I sold 9 things for ~$144, almost made it! 🙁
- Finish the rough draft of a new eBook on investing for beginners through chapter #3
- Complete – I was able hack my way to finish chapter #3
- Post at least 5 additional monetized YouTube videos
- Complete – I had 7 posted videos for February, so I hit the goal here.
- Get all of my MBA assignments done on time – I’m in the home stretch as I finish up in April!
- Complete – Everything good on this front. I’m still doing well with all of my classwork.
I hit 3 out of 5 goals again for this month, so I’m feeling just OK about my progress. Side hustle income dropped vs. last month, but I kinda expected that because January was such a home run. I actually got a little further ahead writing my stock market investing book for beginners than I had planned, so I’m happy with that. Now, let’s check out the specifics…
Notes on Making Money for February 2014
February was the best ever month for income! I received my yearly bonus and my wife received a bonus as well. Google Adsense revenue dropped to $18, Amazon Affiliate income was ~$2, YouTube income was ~$3, and income from articles was $235. Ebay sales were a little weaker at $145 for the month (sold more household clutter)! Total side hustle income was $403 for the month – pretty nice!
Notes on Money Saving for February 2014
Monthly expenses for February were nicely under control compared to previous months.
The biggest non-routine expense we had was the purchase of Wicked tickets (~$150). My wife has wanted to see this play for like the past 7 or 8 years, and I finally caved in and agreed to go 🙂
Because of the bonuses, our overall savings rate was 72% for the month! February also saw the most saved as a dollar amount so far – awesome!
Notes on Investing for February 2014
For February, I picked up 21 shares of SPY at a price of $187.70 for a total of $3,942. SPY is the SPDR S&P 500 ETF which pays a quarterly dividend (1.8% annually). The is my favorite market index fund to hold.
Actions Plans for March 2014
- Finish the book: The Four Pillars of Investing
- Sell at 5 things on Ebay (I have sold most of the low hanging fruit)
- Finish chapter #5 of the Investing for Beginners book that I’m writing
- Post at 5 additional monetized YouTube videos
- Get all of my MBA assignments done on time – I’m almost done – only one more month!!
Other Points of Interest
- Here is a list of the posts I wrote for the month of February:
- Should I Downsize My House?
- When a Landlord Calls — Finding and Saving Money on Rental Accommodation in Egypt (guest post)
- Investment Tips – Remember Enron – Reduce Your Company Stock
- Free Christmas Present
- Selling on Ebay – Diamonds in the Rough
- Book Review – The Millionaire Next Door
- Top Personal Finance Book Reviews (new review page)
- Playing the Lottery is Stupid
- Share Plates at Restaurants
Also, I was able to break 150,000 on my Alexa ranking, so I’m very happy with that!!
What are your money saving, money making, and investing plans for March?